New Albany and Gahanna residents gained access to state emergency resources Aug. 13, after Gov. Mike DeWine declared a state of emergency for all of Franklin County following the derecho that tore through central Ohio two days earlier.
The declaration is a prerequisite for requesting a presidential major disaster declaration from FEMA, according to the agency, meaning residents could eventually access grants for temporary housing, home repairs and low-cost loans for uninsured property losses. No federal declaration has been issued yet.
DeWine had already declared emergencies for Perry and Muskingum counties on Aug. 12, due to flooding from the same storm system, according to the Columbus Dispatch. Franklin County's declaration came a day later as the scale of wind damage became clear.
30,000 still without power
As of 7 a.m. Thursday, just under 30,000 AEP Ohio customers in Franklin County remained without electricity. Franklin County was the last county in Ohio with more than 1,000 powerless AEP customers. AEP estimated power would be restored for remaining customers by around noon Aug. 14.
The utility's damage assessment tells the story: 98 broken poles, 565 spans of downed wire, 18 damaged transformers and 62 spans tangled with fallen trees. About 20,000 crews were working on restoration, with mutual aid arriving from Indiana, North Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky, the Dispatch reported.
Scale of the Aug. 11 storm
The Aug. 11 derecho, a straight-line windstorm with gusts comparable to a tornado, brought 82 mph winds recorded at John Glenn Columbus International Airport. The National Weather Service confirmed an EF-1 tornado touched down in south Columbus and determined straight-line winds gusting 90 to 100 mph caused significant tree damage near Upper Arlington High School, 10TV reported.
The Columbus Division of Fire responded to more than 1,100 calls on Aug. 11. At the storm's peak, 131 calls came in almost simultaneously. It marked the first time in the division's history that every unit was simultaneously in service, Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said at a joint press conference with DeWine on Aug. 12.
"Zero fatalities, zero transports to ERs for injury, nothing short of miraculous for this type of storm and 82 mile per hour winds at John Glenn International Airport," Ginther said at the press conference, according to WOSU.
What residents should know
The American Red Cross opened a shelter at Scioto Southland Community Center, 3901 Parsons Ave., Columbus. Residents needing assistance can call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
Central Ohio remained under a flood watch until 11 a.m. Aug. 14, with additional storms forecast Thursday afternoon and overnight.
If a federal disaster declaration follows, Franklin County residents would be able to apply for FEMA assistance at DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 800-621-3362.
As we reported Aug. 13, the NWS confirmed the EF-1 tornado without issuing a warning during the storm, raising questions about the county's outdoor siren system. Franklin County had approved a $439,000 siren upgrade weeks before the derecho hit.
AEP's restoration timeline placed northeast Columbus, including New Albany, among the last areas to regain power, with a noon Aug. 14 target.





